Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Gestures

I found myself doing something the other day that I've noticed before but never really paid much attention to. But it's strange, the way that we, as humans, relate things to each other. Example: I was relaying a story that had been told to me over the phone. A boy that I was interviewing for a story told me how he broke in a Texas Longhorn, that he had to feed the cow these special pellets and if cow did anything bad, like swing his horns at the boy, the cow got no more treats. The boy also told me that the beginning stages of this training period were pretty rough. When he tried to put a rope around the cow, it would take off running. The boy described a photo that was taken of this where he was holding onto the rope when the cow took off running and it looked like he was skiing. Now, I must remind you that this was all told to me over the phone, I did not see the boy make any gestures while talking, I have not seen the behavior of the cow. But, when I retold this story to someone else, face to face, I found myself making hand gestures. I posed my hands like you would on a ski rope and I held out my hands as if presenting a treat and then pulled them back as if taking the treat away. Now tell me this, why would I come up with these hand gestures having never seen the actual actions, nor having ever seen anyone mimic the actions. Ah the power of imagination.