Thursday, September 23, 2004

Sleeping like a baby

A good night of sleep is few and far between for me. Most nights I generally lay awake for several hours in the bed willing myself to just fall asleep, and then spend the entire night tossing and turning. So I always remember, and take note of times I actually sleep the entire night - and sleep well, with not so crazy dreams. (Often I also have bad dreams). I don't know what to blame it on. I wound up telling an old co-worker about my family history, my parents divorce and current situation. When I finished he said "You must have a sleeping disorder." I was thrown off a little by his response, but I replied, "Well, yes, I do." So, I was very pleased to have a good night sleep two nights ago. I was exhausted. And it really felt good to sleep so well. It reminded me of something. A feeling I had as a child. That feeling where you are sleeping so heavily, and you can let yourself sink into that deep sleep knowing that someone is there to take care of you - your mom, or grandmom, or dad. That feeling of comfort knowing that they will pick you up from the couch and take you to your bed - and you'll never wake up completely because, as a child, you are all trusting of this parental figure. Once you grow up, you become less trusting. Little noises wake you up. No one is there to put a blanket over you or a pillow under your head. I think the last time I felt that way, like someone was completely taking care of me, was when I had my wisdom teeth removed. After coming home I slept, like a baby, comfortable knowing that my mom was there to take care of me. To put a blanket over me, to adjust my pillow, and generally just watch over me as I slept. soundly. It is a nice feeling. That was 10 years ago.