Monday, September 06, 2004

push cart policy

This morning I awoke to an explosion of thunder outside my room. I remembered that it's Labor day, an American holdiay, and for a fleeting second I thought that some sort of terrorist type bomb detonated in the metroplex. I was still half asleep, my mind not clear of deep sleep and bizarre dreams. I felt a little alone, but quickly dozed off again after my fast-beating heart settled and I became accustomed to the pattering and splashing of the rain against my balcony. When I woke up again the rain had stopped. I went out for a jog/walk and the air was cool and clean. It felt good to splash through puddles and sing along to my music as the path was pretty deserted. By the time I neared the end of my workout the path started to fill up. The sun started to come out and I had to dodge dogs that managed to break away from their owner's tight grasp on the leash and baby strollers that are not pushed to one side of the path or the other, but are smack-dab in the middle. It kills me that even once these stroller drivers see that you are behind them and need to get by, they still do not move. All it would take is a simple shift of about 3 inches. But no. So I end up having to run around them in the muddy grass. not a big deal, but a little annoying. time to go inside.

Later I hit up Bed Bath and Beyond. I need pillowcases. There is always this one thing that always happens to me a BB&B - I mean it never fails that this will happen - someone always manages to steal my buggy. I mean I'll park it in a nice spot, not in anyone's way so I don't clog up the kitchen aisle or something, and when I come back - boom - no buggy. I even thought about this today, when I got there and left my cart unattended to look at picture frames. I thought - everytime I come here someone takes my buggy. So I turn around to grab my cart - who cares if I can't manuever it through this maze of frames - and what do I see? I see a 50-something women plop her freshly groomed Shitzu into MY cart and wheel away toward the front of the store. Too late for me to stop her, I sullenly, and to tell the truth a bit baffled that this really could happen to me again, make my way to get another cart. When I get there I find that there are none. I have to wait for someone to bring them in from the parking lot.