Wednesday, June 01, 2005

updating

I'm not feeling very original, so today I bring to you the obligatory June 1 New Year's resolution update.

Here's the list I posted in January:

1. Finish Infinite Jest and then work through the stack of unread books on my shelf.
2. Do some more paintings.
3. Remember to call people on their birthdays (I've been told ecards do not count as birthday greetings).
4. Make more time to read (obvious).
5. Learn/do Yoga.
6. Watch all the movies I've been meaning to see, but just haven't gotten around to because there are always those new and shiny ones at the front of the movie store. A couple I can think of are Apocalypse Now and, for the love of God, I am determined to get through Godfather III in its entirety.
7. Learn how to play tennis.
8. Take more pictures.
9. Cook more.
10. Buy a couch.

I can check off numbers 1, 3, 4, I'm working on 6, 8, and 10. I'd say that's pretty good.

Unfortunately I'm still sending people ecards instead of calling them on their birthday. (This, I'm ashamed to say, is even true in the case of my own sister.) I have not even picked up a tennis racket. And unless heating up things in the toaster oven counts as cooking, I'd say I haven't put much of a dent in number 9 either.

I've got a bunch of shit to do for the next two weeks. Everyone is going on vacation, and by everyone I mean the one other person in our editorial department. Good thing I've got an intern:) starting next week.

I guess I better get back to work -- pressing issues among the neighborhood 4th of July parades demand attention. I'll leave you with a link to an eight-minute-long video that appeared in my inbox the other morning from my boss. "An interesting commentary on media," he said. I think he might have been bored.

click here for the "video"