Monday, June 05, 2006

Furniture Fairies Send Us a Bookshelf!

It's not like we needed any more books to add to our growing mountain of literature in the corner, but of course, we did need them. Especially when we had cash to spend and the average price ranged from $1 to $5 per book and there were thousands and thousands of them gleaming before our greedy little eyes. Ah, the Printer's Row Book Fair. Mike blew all of his cash on, naturally, another copy of Infinite Jest. But this one was a first edition. A solid addition to the beginnings of a legitimate collection. Maybe if the collection grows big enough I can dissuade Mike of his desire to name our first born David Foster Wallace Innocenzi. Not having any kind of bizarre crush on any one particular author enough to warrant purchasing a first edition, although I must admit the idea of posessing a first edition of, for instance, Franny and Zooey, did seem quite enticing at the time, I decided to stock up on some summer reading because I am hoping to spend ample time on my ass at the beach. I procured the following: Naked by David Sedaris, The 2004 Best American "Mystery" series, and Eudora Welty's first collection of short stories. And for the non-existent book shelf we will add a $4 hardcover edition of Song of Solomon, Ulysses, which I will make it through godammit, and some collection of 60's writers thoughts on politics or something (it cost $1 and the cover looked cool). Fun times. Definitely. Now I better get to reading.