Friday, March 31, 2006

Sweet

OK, so I think the sickness has passed. At least, that's what I'm telling myself so I can quench my overwhelming thirst for beer this evening.

I don't know what it was, but for some reason ever since I caught this nasty bug (which I'm blaming on one of those damn kids from the Field Museum) I've only wanted to eat sweets. Of course, this phenomenon could be due to the pairing of said sickness with the arrival of my period. I have been party to not one, but two cake-making episodes this week. And I'm pretty sure that I've consumed the majority of both of those cakes (one cookie, one Funfetti, both with vanilla icing). I just polished off the last of the cookie cake here at work and my eyes are beginning to twitch. I may have to go into sugar detox.

Last night we enjoyed a nice glass of wine on our front steps. The rise in temperature had the neighborhood bustling - and (even though I couldn't really taste the wine due to congestion) it was exciting because we began to realize that this is why people stay here through the winter. This is what we pay for. Wine, warm breeze, seagulls flapping overhead, Lula at the screened window meowing at us and sniffing the new smells she's not been exposed to all winter. People watching on our stoop. Barbecue in the air. Spring. Ahh.