Friday, April 07, 2006

The Nature of the Beast

I receive a lot of information from PETA and PETA-related organizations at work. In fact I was reading about this and then this just this morning. While I realize the radical nature of PETA, I have to admit, all of this exposure to animal rights has increased my desire to wean myself off of meat.

But even before I took this job I had become more conscious of my choices with regards to meat. For dietary purposes mostly, I'd choose veggie burger over cheeseburger. Ideally, I'd be a vegetarian, for both ethical and health reasons. But man do I love cheeseburgers. And steak. And chicken is just so damn easy to order anywhere you go. And don't even get me started on bacon. It's tough to give that up. I went for about five or six years without eating red meat (in high school and college). It wasn't that big of a deal except I had to keep reminding my Dad when he was at the grill that I had to eat chicken or veggie or turkey burgers, which he did not understand. Thanks to The Wear and a delicious 1/3 lb cheeseburger at Fudrucker's in college, I jumped back on the red meat wagon and haven't been off since.

But nowadays I'm becoming more cautious about what I put into my body. I'm trying to give up soda and sugar. I try to order healthier options when dining out or buying groceries. Whole Foods is becoming my standard grocery store option. And while I don't think I could go full-fledged vegetarian, I think I could make some efforts to choose non-meat whenever I can...At least, after the Argentinan steakhouse we are going to tonight.