Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Yes, I get drunk dialed by my parents

Role reversals seem to crop their heads quite frequently in the family of disFUNction. My dad and his wife (and well, the rest of my dad's side of the family) are in New Orleans for the trial. Can't explain more, except it's a legal dispute over the estate of a deceased uncle (he died like three years ago).

However, I was not aware of that last night when I received a call from my Dad's cell.

"Hi Lauren! It's Dad! I'm on Bourbon Street!" Oh dear, I thought, is this payback for all those times in college I called him shouting the exact same line?

Then Dad's wife grabs the phone. Incoherent Bourbon Street babble. Then the phone cuts out. At first I was excited to hear that things seemed to be back to normal in the Quarter. Then I was like, wait, it's TUESDAY night. WTF? What middle agers/borderline senior citizens go out on Bourbon Street on a random Tuesday night?

I took a sleeping pill and went to bed.

Then, this morning I got the obligatory drunk-dial apology call from my Dad's wife that explained it all. I told her to eat a Beignet for me.