Thursday, January 13, 2005

Someone show him how to use the TV

My dad called me at work yesterday morning to tell me that he thought I really should be tested for MS or diabetes.

This was entirely random.

In my entire 24 years of living not once have either one of those terms come up in a conversation between my dad and me, about me. I asked him why he was so concerned with this all of a sudden. He said no reason. Just thought since I was tired all the time I might need to have it checked.

But the thing is, I've been suffering from chronic tiredness probably since high school and he's never mentioned this before. So, naturally I asked him if he saw something on TV or heard about something. No, he says. In fact, he says, Laura has been out of town for a week and he can't figure out how to work the TV. He's been making his way through the set of Seinfeld DVDs I gave him for Christmas and has enjoyed them immensely. Especially that Kramer. But really, Lauren, he says, you need to go see a doctor and have that checked out.

Am I missing something? Does Seinfeld have something to do with MS? Diabetes? Or has my dad just crossed over that border into the world of the elderly where he can't entertain himself when he's left alone and has to think of ways to harrass his children?