Thursday, January 06, 2005

Interesting

If you're a fan of people watching or perhaps just fancy the occasional observation of bizarre human activity, might I suggest visiting a CVS on a Thursday afternoon. More particularly the CVS at the corner of Mockingbird and Skillman.

Of course this may have only been an isolated incident. Maybe an odd phenomenon resulting from the sudden drop in temperature. But nevertheless I will report to you my findings.

After racing through the sliding doors for fear of frostbite (alas I had only worn a t-shirt and light jacket believing it to be a mild 68 degrees instead of a miserable rainy and bitter 35), I made my way towards the pharmacy section, whereupon I was not particularly greeted by the clerk, but more so shouted at. In Spanish.

HUH? I thought. And I thought my face expressed this concern, but the clerk (I say clerk and not pharmacist because I'm fairly sure she was not the pharmacist) turned hastily toward the filling area where about three other employees milled around a computer and one (I think he was the actual pharmacist) other transferred liquid from one bottle to another while precariously holding a pencil in between his lips.

I stood there, perplexed. But finally after the woman yelled in Spanish at me again I heard a voice reply in Spanish behind me. Aha! And then the Spanish yeller, in English, said (i.e.,yelled) she'd be with me in a moment.

While waiting for the computer-millers to run my insurance through the computer, I got the opportunity to watch several customers come and go. (And no, the clerk did not stop yelling at people. It seemed she wasn't so much angry as she was just a really, really, loud talker.)

The first lady's last name was Brown. I made note of her mom jeans and I could've sworn she had on a woven belt. But what I found most interesting about Mrs. Brown is that she paid full out for her prescription, which, came in one tiny bag. The price? Not so tiny - $496.98.

Next up? Mullet Man. But Mullett Man, hefty and husky and stout, was sipping nonfat cappuccino delicately from a red snowflaked Starbucks cup.

Hmmm. Interesting.

I'll skip the credit card machine issues and the bewilderment of one of the computer-millers to move along to my exit from the store. Having to zigzag through the maze-like aisles I turned a corner to find a blond lady sitting cross-legged on the floor amid an assortment of hair products (she was not an employee). She was in the process, it seemed, of testing out each different bottle by rubbing the gel (or whatever) between her fingers holding it up to the light, smelling it and then inspecting the ingredients listed on the bottle. It reminded me of that scene in Clerks where the man comes in and tests every single egg in each and every one of the cartons.

Then, as I passed the register, I noticed a woman in line with two - only two - very short strands of silver garland and a bag of chips. I can understand stocking up on the Christmas decorations after Christmas because they are on sale. And I can even see going out during Christmas to get a couple of random, but needed extra pieces of garland. But it's January 5. Christmas is over. Why would you need one foot of garland?

Right.

Then, as I approached my car, an SUV jolted into the spot I was walking past. Still bouncing from the speed-into-the-parking-spot-until-you-hit-the-curb maneuver, the woman behind the wheel (with curly brown hair and a yellow raincoat) promplty lit a cigarette.

Upon that, I left.