Monday, January 24, 2005

I swear I'll learn how to play it

I just entered a contest to win a hand-crafted Djembe drum made by the guy from Rusted Root.

I do not know what I would do with a Djembe drum.

I imagine it would probably follow the same suite as the great guitar fiasco of 2000, ending up as a unwieldy piece of home decor collecting dust in the corner.

Perhaps it would be different. Perhaps I have a hidden talent for the Djembe. Perhaps I will win the contest.

It's funny that I ran across this today because just this morning I was talking about Rusted Root. I mean how often does Rusted Root come up in conversations these days? Not often. And twice in one day, well that's just craziness.

The reason for the first Rusted Root conversation occurred early this a.m. as I was riding back with my co-worker from a meeting with a local police deputy chief. At this point in time I was introduced to a band called Slim Cessna's Auto Club. I suggested that the singer kind of sounded like the lead singer from Rusted Root.

I then admitted that I was a fan of Rusted Root. Don't tell anyone.

But Slim Cessna - I liked what I heard. I highly recommend checking them out.

Perhaps I can play the Djembe for them someday.