Monday, February 28, 2005

My Bologna has a First Name

Example

I was a little anxious about having to trek up to Richardson last night right after the beginning of the Oscars. Luckily, I returned in time to see Antonio's moving performance of "Al Otro Lado del Rio" from the Motorcycle Diaries. And when I say moving, I mean when he stood up from his stool, walked forward three steps and threw his arm into the air.

Dear God who told him he could sing?

Oh, I know, I betcha it was her.

But don't get me wrong. I didn't mind watching him croon for five minutes in Spanish about some shit on the other side of a river. At least, after I turned the volume down.

OK, so I like Salma and I like Penelope. But putting them together in front of a teleprompter was not a good idea. I've never had to strain my ears so hard to figure out what someone was trying to say. Then again, I've never had so much strain on my ears. Advice to next year's producers - only one severely thick-accented presenter at a time.

Moving along.

Example

Rock on, Jamie. I can't wait to see Ray.

And then, there's Johnny.

At least someone wore something worth a "Did you see what he/she was wearing?"... "Yeah, what the crap was that?"