Thursday, September 08, 2005

How sad am I

I've been trying to take my mind off a couple of things lately. One is the unsettling feeling that our country is on a very rapidly moving downward spiral into hell. There are other things - and NO I AM NOT PREGNANT YOU PEOPLE - that have me very anxious and nervous and honestly, a little scared.

If you've paid any attention to this blog, you know about my, well, obsession I guess, with chocolate. It is my ultimate comfort food. So now, as I have just consumed one of the three miniature NewTree dark chocolate pieces I got for an afternoon pick-me-up and am debating about eating another, I'd like to talk a little more about chocolate.

I guess my addiction was inevitable. It is in my blood - it was passed on to me by my father, who can sniff out chocolate from two stories up and across an alley. Seriously. You bring brownies into a building, and my Dad, he KNOWS.

Dark chocolate is my favorite. I particularly love those little baby Ghiradelli squares. Sometimes I buy them at World Market just for myself.

After a visit (with Pags - Hi Pags! Remember the giant Hansel and Gretel made of chocolate?) to the Lindt Chocolate headquarters and factory just outside of Zurich, Switzerland, I developed a liking for those little Lindt/Lindor chocolate balls - particularly the white chocolate ones. Delicious.

Also while I was studying in Europe I forced my "Food and Culture" classmates/project team to do our report on the history of chocolate. They readily agreed when I said research would involve taste testing.

In college I read a lot of books. Being an English Literature major (and a history minor) I probably read about 10-20 per semester depending on my course load. Couple that with a bad memory and I've forgotten a lot of those books. Many of them do stand out in my mind. Flannery O'Connor's Wiseblood, all of Walker Percy's-particularly The Moviegoer, the f-ing Canterbury Tales...One book that I always remember is Edith Wharton's Summer. the thing that I always remember about it - and you guys are probably going to lock me up after I tell you this - is a scene when the heroine, Charity Royall has tried to runaway, she comes to her lover, Lucius Harney all stressed out and shaky and he makes her eat chocolate. That is what I remember about that book.

How sad am I.

OK, I just got some pages to proof. I now have to do real work. But the good news is I've got two pieces of chocolate left!