Monday, March 28, 2005

Motoring...

In a desperate act of boredom, I found myself yesterday tuned into VH1's countdown of the 25 Greatest Power Ballads. Although its effects had several hours to evaporate, last night I tossed and turned all night. The lyrics to Sister Christian and images of big hair and tight leather kept running through my head, keeping sleep at a distance. It was not pleasant.
I'd like to share the misery:
Example

Talking about these bands reminds me of a couple of things from my childhood.
1. Cecile and I used to tell our little cousin Haley that Cecile's boyfriend's name was Axle Rose. We had her convinced for a couple of years. Of course, she had no idea who Axle Rose was at the time.
2. I used to sneak into my Mom's living room to watch the video of Love Bites.
3. Stephen, the family member I narrowly lost out to in the competition for Black Sheep, went through a heavy metal phase when he was in sixth grade. (I am reminded of this because Metallica made the countdown). He etched "Anthrax" (the band not the WMD) into a chalk board all of the girl cousins played "school" with at my grandparents house. It is still there - the chalkboard and the etching of Anthrax. I'm pretty sure my grandparents have no idea who Anthrax is.