Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Old Man Winter

I just bought tickets to Cabo, Mexico. When is the trip to Cabo, you ask? Late July. I think I am trying to stave off S.A.D. and trick myself into thinking summer is just around the corner. Clearly, I am delusional. But a girl can dream. Right now I am dreaming of sand and coconut-flavored adult beverages.

Reality: it is cold. And getting colder. And summer is a shimmer of light in a galaxy far away. Forecasted high on Sunday is 10. I've never before heard or seen the term "brutally cold" until the other day when Tom Skilling spewed forth the infernal phrase, referring to the effects of an approaching "Siberian air mass." Or was it Arctic? Are those two interchangeable? This morning, my car was making weird creaking noises I had never heard before, as if to say you godammed bitch why are you making me move in this unbearable foreign cold? (After all, my Jeep is a Louisiana native as well).

The good thing is, we are headed to Austin in February, for my birthday, to visit Sidetracked and Seize the Dave, and Scattershot, who will be migrating in from California. Good times will be had, but right now what's got me salivating are the 67-68 degree average highs in late February in Austin. Please let it be average!

In other news, I've been thinking about chocolate alot lately. Especially hot chocolate made with real chocolate pieces melted in milk that is all steamy and frothy at the top. Oh dear lord.