Sunday, July 24, 2005

Swish and Spit

I'm in some serious need of chocolate. A run to the convenient store may be on order.

I have a super busy week ahead of me and a VERY stressful weekend after that. It's not helping that the mild toothache I've had for the last four days has turned into a throbbing beast. I've got to get into the dentist as soon as possible. I would call up first thing tomorrow - but I've got my monthly staff meeting then. So appointment booking will have to wait until after that's done. I hope they can get me in there fast. It sucks because my schedule is really tight this week, and I'm about 85% sure that this toothache issue is going to involve more than one office visit.

Last night I got some Ambesol in an attempt to stifle the pain. It only made my lips numb. Damn.

I keep thinking about the second to last time I went to the dentist. After performing one of the three procedures (I think cavity fillings) he was scheduled to, my dentist put down his equipment, turned, walked out of the room, down the hall, and out the back door. He got into his car and drove away.

The dental assistants seemed almost as perplexed as I was - but only for a second. Then they undid my paper bib and led me to the front to take care of my bill.

It seems Dr. Johnston got hungry. And I guess it was close to lunchtime - I did hear his stomach grumble a little. I imagine that kind of thing wasn't uncommon with him -he was very old, stubborn and probably teetering on the edge of senility.

Anyway, I've got to call his office up and get them to fax over my dental records, which are pretty extensive. I had the fortune of inheriting my dad's teeth, which has been a source of much frustration my entire life. Despite good dental hygiene, I've already had two root canals and I can even count how many cavity fillings. My mother, mortified everytime I have to have something else done, always reminds me that she has never had one cavity in her entire life. Thanks Mom.

Anyway, this week should be interesting.