Tuesday, July 19, 2005

I didn't get a picture of the Manatee or the Walrus lady

Example

I probably should have looked up directions because the Aquarium was not where I thought it was. Or at least I just got really turned around. Downtowns in general tend to do that to me. Anyway, we finally found it and after Mike launched my car through boulder sized craters full of post rain sludge, we parked in a lot where the payment rules were more than a little obscure. $2 or $5? All day? Weekends? A man with a small child latched onto his calf opted to pay the full amount, therefore causing us to rethink our choice and cram a couple more dollars (and some quarters) in the tiny numbered slot.

Of course I knew there would be many small children, I mentally prepared for that. What I did not count on was being stuck with them, their mothers, fathers, grandmothers and cousins in a human traffic jam in a narrow winding pathway with high walls and no visible means of escape.

I guess I should mention I'm a little - OK - I'm extremely claustrophobic. Meaning, among other things (namely light headedness, shortness of breath and general terror), excessive sweating. Excessive sweating plus "Tropical Rain Forest" environment = well, you get the picture. Not good.

Example

But after the path widened up a bit I calmed down. And the critters were pretty fun to see.

I think my favorite Aquarium creature was the Manatee. I overheard the woman standing next to me at the Manatee tank say she thought it might be a Walrus. Um, lady, last I checked Walruses have very long fang teeth dagger things hanging out of their mouths. Plus the exhibit monitor said Manatee. She might have spent too much time in one of the ten Aquarium bars.

I also liked watching the bats for some reason. I know, strange right.

So all in all the Aquarium was decent. Not as good as I had hoped. They seriously need to address that traffic flow problem. And at the end, we were a little concerned/confused that the Aquarium exit spits you out into an alley.

Also, they should get more Manatees. And maybe a Walrus.